READ : 1 Corinthians 3:5-15
One temptation is to try to get by with as little work as possible. We do just enough to get by. We “cut corners” and do not do as good a job as we should. Maybe we don’t like the task or we don’t have enough time to be as thorough as we should.
If you have ever felt that way, consider the following. Even if 99.9 percent was good enough:
- 22,000 checks would be deducted from the world’s bank accounts in the next hour;
- 1,314 phone calls would be misplaced in the next hour:
- 12 newborn babies would be sent home with the wrong parents;
- 2 large passenger planes would crash at an international airport each day;
- 20,000 prescription medications would be incorrectly written in this year;
- 315 entries in Webster’s Third New International Dictionary would be misspelled.
Making sure the work you do is of the highest quality is important to God. As our Scripture says, “Each builder must choose with care how to build” (v. 10). Christ is the foundation on which we are to build. He set the same example. 99 percent of the flock was not good enough for the Good Shepherd. He went out searching until all the sheep were in the fold. How can we do otherwise?
Father, help us do our best for You. In Jesus’ Name. Amen