READ : John 8:31-38
“If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples.” (v. 31)
hen I die and they go through my wallet, they will find a slip of paper on which is written my Six Daily Disciplines: six things I try to do every day as a disciple of Jesus. Other disciples might have other disciplines that they find helpful. My list could be longer. But I don’t think it could be shorter. Here are my Six Daily Disciplines:
- Live Simply. Don’t be overindulgent. Don’t think you always have to have more. More doesn’t make you happy. More doesn’t bring you joy. Jesus said: “For what will it profit them to gain the whole world but forfeit their life?” (Matthew 16:26).
- Love Generously. Be lavish with love. You’re not going to run out.
- Speak Truthfully. Your word should be simple and sufficient, true and transparent. “Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No,’” said Jesus (Matthew 5:37).
- Give Faithfully. If you are not tithing you are cheating yourself and cheating God. Stop cheating.
- Pray Daily. What are you doing today that is more important than talking with God? Don’t try to find the time. Make the time.
- Leave everything else to God. God has bigger shoulders than you do, and he’s up all night anyhow. Let him worry about it.
Lord, help me to follow you.